slow cooker meals are my love language.
one. life is so busy. like WAY. and number two: I need easy. very very easy.
the slow cooker does both of these these things for me.
this time of year my slow cooker has her permanent place on the counter top. the weather is still trying to make up it’s mind at the moment, but after picking up a couple of the cutest handle soup bowls the other day from William Sonoma I was hard pressed to include a soup of some form into our weekly meal plan. I think we kicked off the ‘crock pot’ season with the best one!
I found the original recipe from the chunky chef and made a couple of tiny tweaks of my own, but overall it was a huge hit in this house. I only made white chili last season ONCE and it was a big fat failure, so I was hesitant to try it again. this one is going into our regular soup rotation- definitely football sunday worthy.
the only thing this picture is missing is a couple of hearty slices of avocado. just imagine them there.. instead of in my bossy toddler’s hand/mouth/face/ears.. and now hair.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 32 oz. low sodium (I use organic) chicken broth or stock
- 2 (15oz) cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (4oz) cans diced green chiles (I do one hot, one mild)
- 1 (15oz) can whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 packet dry ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- small handful fresh cilantro chopped
- 4-6 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup half and half
- sliced jalapeños
- sliced avocados
- dollop of reduced fat sour cream
- minced fresh cilantro
- tortilla strips
- juice of one lime
- shredded Monterey jack or Mexican cheese
Add chicken breasts to bottom of slow cooker, top with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, ranch dressing packet, and cayenne pepper.
Top with diced onion, minced garlic, great Northern beans, green chiles, corn, chicken broth and cilantro. Stir.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
Remove chicken to large mixing bowl, shred, then return to slow cooker.
Add cream cheese and half and half, stir, then cover and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes, or until chili is creamy and slightly thickened.
Stir well and serve with desired toppings.