there are a million ways to wear denim overalls. I’ve tried many pairs and it took me a hot minute to figure out if I loved them or hated them. they can be a little frumpy and a lot uncomfortable if you choose the wrong pair. verdict? LOVE THEM. there are just a few things you want to look for when you are deciding on overalls for yourself.. and how to wear them without looking like you totally just walked off the farm.
- good stretch :: quality denim makes a huge difference in how you will look and feel in overalls. I went through several (cheap) pair of overalls before trying the these with a heftier price tag. they were worth every penny.. the stretch is amazing and I don’t feel so restricted when I go from sitting to standing or trying to move around chasing my kids.
- say yes to stripes :: skip the plaid (for obvious reasons) and stick to stripes for a trendy mix of pattern when wearing overalls.
- fit is the key :: adjustable straps for your long or short torso so it doesn’t look and feel uncomfortable.
- skinny fit :: for a sleek pulled together look for dressing up or down, stick to the skinny fit overalls. for the most part the fitted overall option is going to be the most versatile.
- shoes :: booties + striped shirt, sneakers + ringer tee, wedges + lace.. SO many options!
- feminine touch :: if you opt for the boyfriend fit overalls, be sure to wear a fitted and feminine shirt or blouse with it. if not you’ll run the risk of the ‘frump factor’ and looking a bit too bulky. lace tops, floral + frills, bodysuits, and cold shoulder blouses will do the trick!
- accessorize :: avoid looking like a toddler and dress up your overalls with trendy jewelry (earrings) and finish off your look with a top knot + head scarf.
- go for the cuff :: shorter gals can wear overalls, too! I’m 5’7 and can get away with the regular length, but the cuffed look is always in and can be the perfect fix for you shorter ladies. I still cuff mine anyway because thats how I prefer my denim 🙂
I decided to dress my favorite overalls from Madewell up a bit for wearing to church by adding a gorgeous ruffle embroidered top I purchased from Vici back when they had their first spring drop. I’m bummed to say that they no longer have it available online but after a little digging I found a similar style HERE!
Brady’s cardigan + romper HERE and moccs HERE // twins outfits c/o kynn + co // Baker’s dress c/o Pippa + Julie and cardigan HERE // my earrings (similar) HEREI have also paired them with a casual tee shirt and layered with a cardigan (styled HERE!) I love that these overalls can be dressed up or down, whether you want to wear a tee shirt + sneakers or dress them up by wearing a blouse paired with booties- they will look great either way. I linked a few super cute and trendy overall options! I just got a pair of these white overall shorties (on sale!) for summer and snagged this tee to wear with! I cant wait to wear them!